Sunday, June 11, 2023

Jett's Day 11: A long day and an unexpected stop

 We started in Silverton and were sad to say goodbye to our hosts -- especially Mocha. But we did have an unexpected stop. 


I got them a lucky bear at the Visitor's Shop at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. They've been shying away from pictures lately (can you tell?) so when I said I wanted a picture of them holding the bear, they said, "It's a trap! I should never have accepted it!" LOL.

Quality Control was on the job again this morning!

We had to double back to Ouray, which meant taking the Million Dollar Highway again!

We were able to get a photo of this waterfall that we missed before.

A good idea of what this road is like to drive.

Another waterfall.

Back in Ouray

Ouray's Main Street

It's amazing how quickly the topography changes. Here we are in a valley,

Then a few minutes later -- a river gorge (and fighting road construction)

Luckily it was Sunday so none of the roads were closed to one lane, but we had to drive carefully.

The Blue Mesa Reservoir.

Grapes

So I didn't know we were going past this National Park, and I asked Paul to go in. We have a senior NP pass so it doesn't cost us anything. 

Tourists ruin your pictures! LOL.


From the visitors' center.

Paul in the yellow shirt.


How Jett spent our time at the visitors' center! LOL. At least they had a nice view.

I loved the wildflowers. You'll see a bunch of pictures of them.












Paul in yellow shirt, red shorts.
Chipmunk posing


He stood there for a long time!


The rock did not stop the plants!









Found a painted rock.







The Gunnison River

Looking straight down!




So we turned around a little before the end because we were ready to get to Salida.

Oh my word! Finally-- a big horn sheep -- a female. There were 3 or 4 beside the road. I yelled, "Animal!" because I wasn't sure what it was. Paul started looking around, and didn't even slow down. Luckily I had my iPhone handy and managed to get this one! 



Farm in the valley

See the 6-7 deer we managed to scare off before I could get my camera out! LOL Paul DID slow down and I think that's what scared them off.


Trying to sleep ... unsuccessfully.

Our destination!


Dinner at The Fritz.



You can barely read the name. Yay for GPS!


Jett and their steak dinner.

S for Salida

Storm headed our way

So we're tucked in warm and cosy at our hotel! Up and at 'em tomorrow. We're going to visit some alpacas and then drive to Colorado Springs.
































2 Comments:

Blogger Dee said...

Beautiful flowers, mountains, and al scenery. Jett will appreciate this beautiful trip with you both. ❤️

4:45 AM  
Blogger Kathy Tuthill Chambers said...

Ohmygoodness, I am without words! That's a first, right?! The views of the mountains, cliffs, flowers, and animals are simply stunning. That one solo picture of the mountain with snow and ice looks like something that should be framed and hung in living rooms everywhere! I am so enjoying this trip with you all - thank you for sharing!

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home