Thursday, January 11, 2018

The Missing Cap Caper

One of the fears of people as they age are the "old age" diseases:  alzheimers and dementia being two of the most prominent. All the "aging" literature says that some memory loss is inevitable and that sometimes it's just that the synapses are working more slowly.  But unless you are placing your remote in the freezer and your pork chops in your TV table drawer, you're never quite sure if this is the beginning of the end.

So, let us back up just a few days.

Hurricane Irma (another story for another time) is coming upon us. My husband, however, is still faithful about flossing his teeth. He uses those little plastic "sticks" -- and this time he managed to pop off a cap in a front tooth! He looked like a character from Hee Haw (an age related joke).  Obviously we can't contact the dentist during all the hubbub of the hurricane and the aftermath. However, he places the cap in a baggie and leaves it where it can easily be found.

Finally, life seems to be back to normal. He decides that he will take the tooth with him when he heads out to work out.  He will stop by the dentist office on his way home.

He puts the baggie on top of a couple magazines and then picks up his work out clothes. He carries them out to the car after kissing me good-bye. I'm on the sofa, checking my morning Facebook notices.

About two minutes later, he walks in, obviously looking for something.

I can tell he's agitated so I ask him what he's searching for. "I thought I took that cap into the car, but I can't find it," he says. I jump up and look around, too.  We can't find it.

"Oh well," he said and goes back out.

A few hours later he comes back. "Did you find the tooth?" I ask.

"No," he said.  "It's crazy. I can't imagine what happened!"

"Maybe the tooth fairy took it," I joked. (Crickets)

I went out and looked in the car while he searched in the house again, including the garbage cans. I walked across the yard, thinking that if it had fallen out, maybe it blew across the yard.  No luck.

He's really irritated because he says it will cost him $2,000 to have the whole thing replaced. He decides to take a nap before taking me to my 1:00 doctor's appointment.

So at 1:00 we climbed into the car. He's still shaking his head, trying to figure out what happened.  I glanced over in sympathy when ... something caught my eye. A slight gleam of plastic between my seat and the console.  I dipped my hand down and ...

"Guess what I found?" I chirped!

"You're kidding me!" he answered. "I looked there." I thought I had too.  Now I have a happy husband who is so relieved that it changes his whole mood for the day.

We still can't figure out how it slipped off the dashboard (where he placed it) and landed vertically between my seat and the console.

I maintain that the tooth fairy got pissed that it was just a cap and hid it just to give him fits!

By the way, he's going to have to have a new contraption put in anyway, but at least he knows he's not going crazy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home